My heart and inner world has always been like a fairytale. Sometimes it gets buried, but it is always there. I enjoy creating a world around me that is simple and beautiful. It is not superficial, but deeply spiritual, and one of the ways I connect with and glorify God and nature, and feel a purpose. Never believe creating a little beauty, shining a little light, or little acts of kindness are not important. Your own life is your artistic statement and needs no explanation.
1. Create a ritual tea time. For me, it is late afternoon and each morning. There are so many varieties of tea to suit each person. You can buy a specific tea set for your own ritual, and pair the tea with milk or lemon.
2. Learn to make your own clothing. You can have something unique to your tastes and body. At the least, making simple dress or skirts is a creative way to pass the time and end up with a lovely look.
3. Have dinner parties, preferably outside with lights illuminating the surrounding plants. Serve several small courses, dessert, and coffee. Use your best china, maybe find antique pieces. Include a vibrant mix of people new and old to create new connections and ideas flowing. Play card games while drinking champagne. If they don’t want to play cards, one it starts, trust me they will get competitive and lively!
4. Practice a hobby. Making dolls, watercolors, ballet, or embroidery can help you meet others, or have something lovely to add to your home.
5. Have picnics. Whether alone with a book, or with friends. Wonderful places include by a fountain or river, or in your city’s most beautiful park. You can play croquet when with friends.
6. Buy yourself a plant, name it, and speak to it (it honestly helps it grow!) and practice giving a little love to your new friend and it gives beauty to your home. Better yet, make your own secret garden somewhere…
7. Find new uses for flowers, whether pressing them in books and making collages, decorating frames, hanging them in a room, or more.
8. Create your own space for creativity in your home. Whether it is a photography set up with natural light and props, or a comfy corner to set up your painting canvases.
9. Take yourself on dates to museums, historical sites, plays, and natural wonders. Absorb their beauty and let your mind wander. Bring a sketchbook for drawings or poetry.
10. Only watch, read, look at, and listen to things that are true and lovely. Read some of your favorite children’s books. I enjoy the book “The Girl in the Tower”. Children's books and fairytales still ring true for me. The body, mind, and soul don’t age according to turns around the sun, but how fresh and new we are inside and treat ourselves.
11. Create a little vanity with your skincare, makeup, bows, and hair brush. Whatever makes you feel pretty all in one place.
12. Read books and watch films from other eras and bring some of their style and positive mannerisms into today.
13. Go vintage shopping (aka treasure shopping). Need I say more?
14. Be the person who goes out of their way to make someone feel special. Listen awful hard and with a full heart speak respond, make little hand made little gifts, and remember their favorite things.
15. Start a collection. It could be coins, teddy bears, fans, tea sets, whatever you love.
16. Volunteer. Wherever you are is the best place to start healing others.
17. Pet every dog you see, and cats (if they let you). I believe the best people in the world are dogs. It doesn’t have to make sense.
18. Make creative, simple, and healthy takes on your favorite meals. Less sugar, more life giving ingredients. (But sometimes chocolate is good for the soul).
19. Decorate a box to put ticket stubs, letters, flowers, little gifts, and instax photos. You can go through them and remember the fun times.
20. Make everything fun for you. If you are doing chores, sing or listen to music. If you are doing homework, reward yourself every 45 minutes with little things like a latte or small walk. If you are watching your children, set up some me time for a bubble bath and paint your nails. If you are working, bring some poems to memorize when things get slow, or some essential oils and flower remedies for when things or fast. There is always a magical remedy.